In 1903, Lenore was an important railroad station, and was a small trading and shipping center along the Clearwater Short Line Railway. There was a Lenore Trading Company, a general store, and a hotel managed by J.B. McGuire. The post office was established in 1900.
It was an important grain shipping point in early years, and the site of the largest grain tram on the lower Clearwater River. The tram carried sacks of grain more than 4 miles, down from the rim of the canyon and across the Clearwater River to the railroad tracks. It was a feat of engineering that enabled farmers on the Camas Prairie to haul their grain just to the top of the ridge, rather than having to wind down the steep, horse-tiring grades. An estimated 75,000 to 100,000 bushels of grain came down the tram annually in early years. Tram was put out of commission by a fire in 1937 and never used again.
Elevation of 914'. T37N R2W sec 35. The community is 1 mile west of Leland and along the Clearwater River, 16 miles west of Orofino and 26 miles east of Lewiston.