Seth Gifford, for whom the site is named, homesteaded about 2 miles east of the present town about 1895. He purchased 20 acres more land immediately across the road from the newly established village of Eugene in 1901 and platted it for a new townsite. The two villages were incorporated as the town of Gifford in 1904. Many of the early settlers were German immigrants who had originally settled in Kansas before coming to Idaho. Two fires in the 1920s destroyed the town, and it was never rebuilt. Post office operated 1901 thru 1965. Gifford's school was founded in 1896, and the community had a school continuously until 1961. From 1916-1944, 225 students graduated from Gifford High School. Elevation is 2800'. T36N R2W sec 23/26. The community is 6 miles south of Lenore, 2 miles north of Lookout.